Monday, December 3, 2007

In Remembrance

The Chicken Slacks lost one of it's biggest fans this month. We didn't know her name, but she was there almost every Thursday night. You might remember her, she always wanted to hear Brick House. You might have even talked to her. She was a very interesting person to talk to. She did a lot of living in her fortysomething years. I called her the Indian lady. Being Native American myself, I can say she represented her culture & heritage with great diginity & grace. She worked construction, auto mechanic, boxed & was very active in martial arts. Our dear sister's voice was silenced forever by a heart attack the second week of this month. 2 weeks before Thanksgiving. Which brings us to this: We all have something to be thankful for. Our health and most of all our Life. As I have always said, tomorrow is promised to none of us. Live every day like it's your last day, because you never know. Every day we should try to bring some happiness to someone's life. I will miss her sitting off on the side of the band, just watching the band & the people and just having a good time. I will miss her little scooter she came to the Cantab on with her 2 littledogs that she carried with her all the time. Her last time at the Cantab, she bought the Slacks CD just because it had her favorite song of all time on it. That was also the last time she requested us to play Brick House. It feels good to know that we were able to fulfill her last request from the Chicken Slacks. I just wish I could've have talked with her a little more. Never let a day go by or an opportunity to tell our loved ones that you love them. EVERYDAY!!! Because tomorrow is not promised to any of us. Everyday we are alive is a blessing and a gift from the Supreme Being. She is now partying and enjoying BrickHouse with the greatest musicians in the universe.
RIP dear sister and God Speed. We will truly miss you.

Diamond D

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, D, for speaking for all of us. I spoke with her now and then, in front of the Cantab while we took our break. She had a cool tricked-out bike, and those little well-behaved dogs-- she was smart,funny, and knew who she was. I admired her for that. Yes, nobody was going to stop her from being who she was.

Anonymous said...

Man, so sad. I'm glad we played Brickhouse for her the week before she passed. She'd yell it out after almost every tune! It drove Diamond D crazy! But it was all in good fun. I remember once on break I walked outside and she was conducting her own soul dance party on the sidewalk with a bunch of folks jamming to her car stereo.

Johnny Blue Horn said...

Don't know her real name, but she introduced herself to me as "Apache" and liked to hook pinkies in lieu of a handshake. The Brick House requests drove me nuts, too, but thankfully we appeased her that one time. God bless.